Friday, March 7, 2008

PACIFIKA FESTIVAL




Today we attended the Auckland Pacifika Festival at Western Springs (Te Wai Orea-Lake of eels). We roamed around for 30 minutes looking for a parking spot and when we finally got onto the grounds of the park, we found out why...there were thousands in attendance. Auckland is the largest polynesian city in the world and most who have left the islands to live in New Zealand, were in attendance at the park (or so it seemed). While there, we found the Prime Minister of New Zealand (Helen Clark) in attendance and accosted her in order to get a picture. Also pictured is a part of the mass of humanity in attendance...also pictured is a large blow up can of corned beef. I believe that it is one of the traditional foods of Samoa.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad I missed your calls tonight! Grrr...we were home too, I have the volume turned up, BUT we have our bedroom door closed to prevent little man from reprogramming our computer. We look forward to your return in a few days although I imagine you are not quite as anxious as we are to have you home. I love your pictures from the festival. Great fun. We love you!

Kristen said...

You're missing the chocolate festival this weekend...I'll be thinking of you :)

Thanks for the update!

Judy said...

Hi Steve and Marie....just checking on you as you are almost ready to finish the countdown and head back home. Thanks for the joy of sharing your journey. It has been fun keeping track of you. Happy Birthdays and welcome back to the States.

See you at lunch sometime soon, Judy

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Mom and Dad! So glad to have you home!