Saturday, May 31, 2008

REMODELING REDUX

I've been taking a lot of flak from my blog fans about lack of new material, blah, blah, blah. Since everyone is probably on the edge of their seats, waiting for news about THE remodel, I will fill you in....with the rest of the story. The new cabinets, the granite counter and the new tub were all installed by the end of the first week. The past three weeks have centered around the need to get the tile set (tub surround and floor) so that the plumber could return to install the hardware (shower, sink & toilet). I remind you that our deadline was May 30 due to the arrival of friends from NZ. There was the delay in the arrival of some of the tile, broken trucks, bad backs, short work days and long lunch breaks. However, the last of the tile was installed on the 29th, the plumber returned to install the fixtures...but... All went well until the installation of "The Toilet" began. Not any old toilet but a water saving, two-volume flushing, sleek and beautiful Toto Supreme. They are used all over Asia and New Zealand. The installation took three hours and the plumber said that if we installed another, there would be additional charges for time and aggravation. Toto...this isn't Kansas anymore and I will never hear Dorothy call her dog and have quite the same pictures dancing through my head. The installation was further extended by attempts to adjust the Toto in order to successfully flush one very small toilet paper section using the "#1 flush". Needless to say, there is a larger flush whose name shall I shall leave to your imagination. We had seen a demonstration of a similarly engineered toilet, flush 12 tennis balls and a small stuffed bear in less than a second. Ours was struggling with a much smaller challenge.
The morning of the 30th saw yours truly, installing the new shower doors until about noon. Drilling through tile (six holes) is not for the faint hearted or weak. Every muscle in my body came into play, leaning on the drill and trying to will the drill bit through the tiles. The last step was calking around the doors and then having to wait 24 hours to let it properly cure. So Sunday morning our guests could finally use the shower, the Toto seems to be functioning and behaving properly and all is well. Well, almost. In a week, we begin work on the other bath. A new adventure to look forward to, but as they say, "no pain, no gain". Films at eleven.

54 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great, Dad, and I hope Toto will give you years of happy use. So glad that S and A can use the beautiful new bathroom. Can't wait to see how it all turned out. Aloha!

Kristen said...

Yeah, a blog update!!! Good job Dad!

Unknown said...

Can we see some bathroom photos?

Anonymous said...

Like we have heard, we can learn from another's mistakes and choices.......I am now in no rush to remodel "anything". Think I will just be content with the here and now...for now. Since we did not go for the ultra modern toilet (Toto) and got one that was a water saver and could flush quickly, we did not have the challenge you did. It is nice to learn from others and will check back with you if/when I get an urge to "update" our surroundings. I am just not up to those kind of challenges at this point in time. Glad it all worked out for you and will look forward to checking out the great remodel(s). Happy Father's Day - sit back and enjoy your efforts (wherever you choose to sit). Blessings to the two of you.

Kristen said...

Knock Knock??

Kristen said...

Who's there?

Kristen said...

nobody....

Kristen said...

anyone??? hello??

Anonymous said...

Kristen, I think you're officially a stalker :-).

Kristen said...

Hey, I'm having a conversation with myself here if you don't mind!!


;0

Kristen said...

Anyway, as I was saying...HEEEELLLLLLLOOOOOOOOO

Unknown said...

Hi Kristen - this seems an excellent place to have private chats without the interruption of an actual blog. Kelly, join in anytime.

Kristen said...

Kathy, I would agree, it's like our own private message system...well hidden from prying eyes.

Anonymous said...

I'm in! I keep waiting for Kristen to really go nuts with this talking to herself thing :-). Really, how many comments can you put on one post before the blog author finally relents and gives us new reading material?

Kristen said...

Anyone notice how early I've been getting up to come talk to myself??

Anonymous said...

Must be the first thing on your to-do list each day: 1. Talk to self. 2. Shower. 3. Coffee.

Kristen said...

Close, but it's coffee THEN talk to self, then shower. Coffee must always come first otherwise it's just blubber to self which can be frustrating as I don't know what the heck I'm trying to say.

Unknown said...

Hi Kristen and Kelly - I've been lagging on my chats with you. Kelly, I'll miss your blog for a while. Kristen, loved the video of Maree and your quiet ride to go fishing. Glad you are having coffee FIRST then talking to yourself, except now you have company and we can visit. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's just the three of us on this lonely blog. Bathroom remodel? We're over it. On to "self talk with Kristen." Revised schedule: 1. Strong coffee. 2. Talk to self on unattended blog. 3. Shower.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what mom and dad are going to think when they finally come back to their blog (Dad) and find umpteen comments about their bathroom remodel. Hilarious. That'll learn him...never leave your blog unattended for long periods of time :-).

Kristen said...

Strong coffee: check
Unattended blog: check
Talking to oneself: che...oh wait, I have people to talk to, yeah!!
Kelly, I even told Dad on Saturday that I was having conversations with myself on his blog. He must not have thought I was serious....that'll teach him.

Unknown said...

I love opening the blog and seeing the comment number rising by leaps and bounds. That in itself makes me laugh and then I get to read them! I realize that Kelly and I have disrupted Kristen's talking to herself, but I think she's OK with it. You ARE up early, Kristen.

Kristen said...

I know, SO early!! I slept horribly last night..probably because we have a lot going on today, and I'm excited...and the kids aren't even home so I could have slept in as late as I wanted. Oh well, at least I have people to talk to :)

Kristen said...

Any wagers on how many comments we can rack up before "someone" notices?? I'm thinking maybe 56??

Anonymous said...

Apparently I'm not the early bird. My older two are at Grandma's and Matthew and I just got up. Need coffee.

Kristen said...

Decaf doesn't count as coffee

Unknown said...

It's possible your Dad is reading these and waiting, lurking, to make his response. In the meantime, we'll enjoy our visits - who needs email when this is available? How nice that the kids had sleepovers and you had quiet mornings. I just had a walk with Roxy whose spending the day.

Kristen said...

Yes, it is possible that he's reading them, although I think it's unlikely that he wouldn't have chimed in by now. Anyway, I'm trying to work and pack and clean my house :) Aaron got $10 from the tooth fairy last night at Grandma's house!! I told her the going rate was $5...generous tooth fairy over there. I told Aaron I wished I could lose teeth (only if more would grow in) so that I could get $10 from the tooth fairy!

Anonymous said...

Decaf is most certainly coffee...it's mostly a psychological thing anyway! Our coffee here is regular so that's what I usually have. I just can't drink anything from DB with caffeine because within an hour I'm on the couch with my heart pounding and too much nausea! Baby doesn't like DB caffeine.

$10 for a tooth? Seriously. Grandmas are awesome.

Unknown said...

One thing I've done at home with Peet's coffee is mix regular and decaf - and then drink twice as much. I'm extra clever. But if drunk in moderation, the palpitations calm down. Kristen, have fun on your trip - will you be chatting with us or do we wait for your return?

Anonymous said...

Kathy, you really are a genius. I could do that, too, if I was as smart as you. I really don't have any ill effects drinking caffeinated at home. It's the Dutch Bros. that kills me. I'd switch to decaf at home, but I think Shane would be sad and wonder why he wasn't feeling as peppy in the morning!

Unknown said...

Hmmmm - so what does DB do to their coffees? Extra jolts of caffeine, and sugar? What are you doing for the 4th?

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming it's how they roast their beans, but I really have no idea.

We're having Jen and the kids over to eat, play and light things on fire! They're bringing their tent and we're having a sleepover in the backyard. What about you?

Unknown said...

We're playing golf in the morning with friends and having dinner at their house. Saturday we go to a wedding at Stanford and will spend the night. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a fun few days! We also have so much smoke in the valley from N. Cal fires so it's not really pleasant to be outside for long periods of time. It started clearing up last night so hopefully it will be gone soon.

Kristen said...

well good morning ! we're on the way to the zoo with the monkeys ...oh I mean to SEE the monkeys. typing on my phone is a little slow...more later..oh and I cracked up to see 35 comments ! love it!!

Anonymous said...

Aren't we funny? Dad....hellllllooooo!??? Blog has been hijacked. I repeat. Pan Pacific Pair is under attack...friendly fire, of course. Please return soon!

Unknown said...

As long as we think we're funny, that's all that counts. And yes, it's a friendly invasion by bored loved ones.

Anonymous said...

Really. How pathetic are we? :-)

Unknown said...

40 is a nice round number.

Anonymous said...

Good job...see, we can talk to ourselves, practice our basic math skills, wait, and wait and wait for PPP (that's Pan Pacific Pair) to return. I'm not sure he's coming back.

Kristen said...

Good morning my beloved blog comment hijackers! Just about to sit down to a lovely breakfast I didn't have to prepare (God bless Jean!!). Happy 4th of July, might be wishing the blog owner a Happy Labor Day before he comes back to his blog.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Happy 4th of July to you, too! Enjoy your wonderful breakfast! We are off to the store because we have no food! Have a fun day.

Unknown said...

Hello dear ones. Finished golf, fighting a cold, making a salad to take to dinner tonight. We are so enjoying this mild weather and cool nights, while it lasts. Love it. A good 4th of July.

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th Kathy! Bummer about the cold---I hope it passes quickly. We are having wonderful, mild weather today and the skies have cleared of all the smoke. It's a perfect day. The kids are ALL napping, and I even got a little nap. Jen and the kids are coming soon, Shane's coming home from work (they're relocating their office) and we're grilling hotdogs on the charcoal Weber BBQ! Can't wait.

Unknown said...

We'll be in the bay area tomorrow and returning Sunday, so will chat with you when we return.

Kristen said...

I may want to resubmit my wager for how many comments we can slip in here without the blog owners knowledge. Maybe 103??

Anonymous said...

Yep...I think it's going to be a while until he returns and then wonders WTH he has so many comments :-). That's what you get for not posting more frequently or at least checking your blog!

Unknown said...

I'm back. The south breeze stopped and we are back to smoke filled skies unfortunately. Hope you are well.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about the smoke--yuck! We start school tomorrow so I'm trying to have my entire year planned out...today. I wish I was kidding. I do have the first six weeks scheduled out which feels great. Got a new rocker for the baby today. Fun stuff on the horizon!

Kristen said...

Oh my goodness, I'm exhausted! Yesterday was a full day of sight-seeing, taking ferries, traveling around. Today we went to a great farm which had so many things to do for the kids, roller coaster, pony rides, go carts, etc. So fun. Then we went to a beautiful waterfall, dinner, and now we're getting ready for pie from the farm. YUM. Kelly, thinking about you and your "first" day of school tomorrow!!

Anonymous said...

Your weekend sounds wonderful, Kristen! Ryan got a wonderful picture in the mail today that Aaron colored (Jean mailed it). Please pass along Ryan's thanks. The kids love getting their own mail :-). Can't wait to see you when you get home.

Unknown said...

Happy first day of school! It's not so bad knowing that you will have a break soon when baby 4 arrives. Kristen, your trip sounds very fun-filled and the pie...yum. We leave the end of the week for Tahoe, then Sun Valley, eventually to Medford 4/23 to get Grandma.

Steve 'n Marie said...

Go Fish !!